Two months ago, Rei Kurosawa lost her fiancee Yuu Asou in a car accident. Since then, she's tried to get on with her life by working on her photography.
Recently Rei was asked to take photos of an abandoned manor that was supposedly haunted. While taking pictures Rei sees Yuu standing both in the photo & before her own eyes. She tries to follow him, but ends up in a creepy looking mansion.
A woman with a tattoo running the length of her body is after Rei. Soon the tattoo begins appearing on her in her waking hours, & now she must figure out what it all means before it consumes her entirely.
- A young woman devastated by the recent loss of her fiancé in an auto accident. She blames herself for the accident because she was driving. She is a professional photographer. [Playable Character]
- Rei's assistant and the sister of Yuu's best friend. She is the protagonist of the first Fatal Frame and is trying to put her brother's disappearance behind her. [Playable Character]
- A friend of Yuu's, he asked him to look into the legends surrounding the Manor of Sleep because he believes his niece is being affected by the mysterious malady the legends speak of. His niece is Mio Amakura, one of the protagonists of Fatal Frame II. [Playable Character]
- Rei's recently deceased fiance. His shade lures Rei into the Manor. In life, he was an editor of books about folklore & related fields. [ NPC ]
- Miku's missing brother and Yuu's best friend. [ NPC ]
- Kei's niece who has been acting strangely since her twin, Mayu, disappeared a while ago. [ NPC ]
- Mio's twin, she disappeared into the Lost Village. [ NPC ]
- Only survivor of a recent airline crash that took the lives of her family and her lover, Yoshino wanders the Manor of Sleep and begs Rei for help. [NPC ]
- A.K.A. Tattooed Priestess. The game's main antagonist, a young woman covered in tattoos that pursues any visitors to the Manor of Sleep. [Ghost]
- A.K.A. Kuze Family Head. The ghost of a stern matriarch. A powerful but slow ghost that usually appears as a chapter's boss. [Ghost]
- A.K.A. Brushing Woman. A female ghost that floats through the air. Encountered often, and prone to swooping making her hard to hit. [Ghost]
- Three young girls who perform shrine rites. Very quick ghosts who are encountered often, occasionally as flying spirits. The fourth Handmaiden, Amane, never attacks you during the story. [Ghosts]
- A.K.A. Men in White & Hidden Face Man. Male ghosts that attack slowly and are easily dispatched. Hidden Face Man is their leader, and considerably stronger. [Ghosts]
- A.K.A. Wandering Mother & Daughter. A couple of ghosts met early in the game, with basic attack patterns to help new players learn the ropes. [Ghosts]
- Two ghosts making cameos from earlier Fatal Frame games. Both are fairly powerful, though encountered rarely. [Ghosts]
- A.K.A. Crawling Woman. Usually appears in enclosed spaces, making claustrophobic areas even worse. Responsible for most of the "shock moments" in the game. [Ghost]
First beat the game once then load the Clear Save :